Monday, February 05, 2007

10 good things about teaching (VIDEO)

Well much to my shock and disbelief I feel that I may have been presenting an up to now one sided perspective on teaching. I have focused much more on my trials than my tribulations and without actually knowing for a face what a tribulate is I will now list a few. ESL teaching in Korea does have its upsides, which I will now list in order of how I write them down:

1. I don’t really have to do any prep. Some of the biggest downsides of teaching at a ‘fer real’ place that I hear about is how much work you take home with you. Tests, reports, homework grading, lesson plan prep. I don’t have to do any of that. Its one of those jobs you don’t take home with you.

2. The little kids generally love you. Although the under 7 category can be the most trying at times and you get more used to seeing tears than a wedding photographer a lot of them generally love you.

3. You can easily save, without really trying too hard, half your paycheck. In this respect your actual bankable income can be much higher than the modest paycheck indicates. Often higher paid individuals have trouble saving a tenth of their paychecks. You could pay off debts or save up cash pretty easy here.

4. You can sometimes kill entire classes with the most seemingly pointless fun activities, and yet still get congratulated for your great lessons.

5. Little kids will always want to rub your shaved head. Like always.

6. I’m not familiar with Korean holidays and new ones are always cropping up unexpected. I’m pretty sure I get time off for the Chinese new year this month and I had no idea.

7. You can just get your T.A. to cover class for you while you go take a nap; here’s mine.





Yes this list was originally planned to be 10 things, but I think that last one counts for three.

4 comments:

schwindt6 said...

I'll trade you teaching assistants!

The Virgin Traveller said...

Ha ha ha.

That was great. Good job.

I recognize Manuel from the Spa, so he can teach and do that 'other' thing to eh? Sweeeeeeeeeet!

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute! I recognize your assistant - it's Ed the Sock's nudist Hispanic cousin. Holy Frijoles. I thought he was doing 10 years for Chili molestation. Seriously though, a good effort. I'm nominating you for Best Short Haired and Short Assed Foreign Director of a Short Foreign Film. Bravo! Sharon Stone will be weeping as she hands you the award.

Anonymous said...

By satellite link of course.