Monday, March 05, 2007

Painless Monday. I'm suspicious.

First full day of classes with my new allotment of students and theres not much worth blogging about. Which is a good thing. The classes went really well and there doesn’t seem to be any big troublemakers in my new bunch yet. Although I can’t really remember if my old classes were easy when I first started them or not. Maybe they all start off easy and then slowly turn against me. Probably part of some diabolical plot that Kim Jong Il is behind. That’s the most obvious answer.

Most of the kids don’t have textbooks yet so I have really just been killing time with them. Which is actually much tougher than teaching. Killing time and not having the classes go completely bonkers on you is a fine art (studies show its finer than Dadaism). I try not to play too many games with them because I live in shaking fear of the day when they get bored of all my games.

Tomorrow is a kiss on the cheek/kick in the pants day. The kiss on the cheek is that my elementary school is still on vacation so I’m done work by noon. The kick in the pants is that before kindergarten class I have to trek across town to the elementary school to participate in a ten minute advertisement for the English program to some parents. I was told today that it will involve a three minute speech made by yours truly. The stress for these speeches is always very low since the only two people in the rooms that can understand English are my co teachers in the program. Any parents that can understand me are probably better off teaching their own kids English anyway. So its another show up in a suit, smile, and try to sound as American as possible day. A very easy task that would be no issue if it didn’t interfere with my usual morning ritual of slowly sipping my way through a gallon of coffee. Maybe I’ll just rail the grounds tomorrow if I’m in a rush.

No comments: