Tuesday, October 24, 2006

First day

Well I think I've officially been in Korea 24 hours now and I have gone through quite the rollercoaster of emotions since getting here. And we're talking a scary rollercoaster here, not like the ghoster-coaster or anything. Fine I did cry my first time on the Ghoster Coaster, but I was eight and a pussy to boot.
When I got here last night and saw my apartment I almost had a relapse to crying eight year old Kevin. Its small, on the ground floot and only has a kitchenette. the stress of the flight, coupled with the lack of sleep had put me in a fragile emotional state and when I did get to sleep all I wanted was to wake up in canada. Funnily enough when I woke up in the morning the placement of the window and shape of the room made me think that I was there for half a second. It was kinda like when you think you see a dollar lying in the street but upon closer inpection it turns out to be a rock.
I woke up this morning not knowing when I was being picked up to go to the school so I wandered a very little around my new neighbourhood. I bought a bottle of water at the corner store. to me this was a great accomplishment, because my korean is still in its fetal stages and not many people here speak that great of english. So I scurried home and drank my water. I was afraid to tread too far away from my place in fear that I wouldn't be able to find my way back.
I shadowed the teacher I'm replacing today and got a feel for the classes. It seems to be pretty simple, the actaul lesson plan takes no time at all to do. the real challenge is keeping them behaved and entertained for the whole class. but out of everything here so far the teaching itself seems like the easiest part.
there are some things stressing the hell out of me, like trying to figure out how to get to the schools I teach at. I'm not within walking distance and bus routes are not intuitive.
The biggest source of stress right now is my apartment which I've let them know I am not happy with. I won't be talking to the boss until monday, the only one that can switch me to another place, but so far it looks hopeful that I'll be able to switch into one of the places that a leaving teacher is vacating.
so right now the general mood is less being attacked by a shark and more being attacked by a badger. Still scary but maybe a bit more of a fair fight.
I've got to go to japan later this week to get my working visa, which should be an adventure. A long boat ride and a lot of complicated directions is what it looks like. I'll probably get a few hours for sightseeing but theres really too much to do.
So I'll update when I can with more about the actaul classes and kids and stuff. And any anecdotes I can think of. Such as the secretary of this school told me this mornign that I look like Tom Cruise. I don't think news of his craziness has really hit here so that was actually meant as a bit of a compliment. Now aside from my height I don;t think I could look less like tom cruise than any other white guy (heck there are black guys that pull it off more than me) but its a funny little bit of culture shock.
Its about 7pm here and I feel ready to go to sleep, I guess the jet lag is catching up me.

No comments: