Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Speak like an American

Second day of class went really well. My littlest class 'Galileo' has already started to take a shine to me. Even the really really new kid that only knows one word in english ('purple', he's loads of fun to ask philosophical questions to) and can't remember his english name yet seems to ignore me slightly less with each passing day. This was my first afternoon teaching at the elementary school and that went pretty well too. Especially considering I was given the wrong schedule by the teacher I'm replacing. Understandable oversight on his part, but it meant that the prep work I had done was actually for my thursday classes. So I had to wing it. I've surfed around on line for some games to do with classes and broke some of those out (as well as one game of my trusty 'hangman', man the kids are gonna get so sick of that one. Maybe next month we'll play 'gallows gentleman'). The regular classrom teacher sat in on my lessons and was gushing in her cure broken english way (and she's thier regular english teacher) abot how good I was doing.
During one of my periods I had to record some words for the teachers to use with thier classes while I'm not there and we ran into a little bit of a snag. Namely with the words apple, brown, about and the letter Z. The teachers were used to the american pronunciations and had no idea what I was saying when I spoke those words. Thats ridiculous, I don't have an accent! No doubt about it! Anyway I delivered those words in an exagerrated southern drawl which seemed to please them. but when I'm alone with the students don't you worry they aren't going to get any of that mush mouthed verbal diarrhea from south of the 49th. There are going to be a class full of korean kids that sound like drunken newfies and know how to make snowmen by the time I'm done with them.
I think the new teacher (matt's replacement) started today- I was busy with classes but I think I spied another waygook (foreigner) in the halls today. Its too bad that matt has already given me all of his teaching tools and promised me all of his old furniture already. Well not too bad for me obviously. For him. the other guy. If you want me to break that down anymore just email me. I don't know his name yet but patrick has exchanged some emails with him and says that he sounds like a surfer. In emails. Thats pretty sweet. This is his first time taching inKorea too so it looks like by the end of this week when Matt is gone I'll be the senior foreign teacher at the Hagwon, which is a little scary. But honestly I'll have only been here a week longer that New Guy, so we'll pretty much be in the same boat.
I still don't know how to work the washing machines and don't know when to put garbage out. I'm either going to figure at least one of those things out or learn to redefine my hygeine levels.

No comments: