Tuesday, November 21, 2006

I swear I'm not making this up

Sticom pitch: nd of like the story of Job, only less on the tragic and more on the comic.

Yep I've gone and done a silly thing. I lost my wallet. Looks like it fell out of my pocket as I was getting out of a cab on my way home from the elementary school. I know I should be angry or something but I'm really just more exasperated than anything else. Partially because it was my fault and I really can't get mad at a guy who's that good looking (which is also the reason I don't get on Orlando Bloom's case for Alexander). And in any case it just fell out of my pocket, its not like it was anything I did or didn't do. So the chances of me getting it back are very slim. Firstly I have no idea what company cab I was riding in, or if it even was a company cab. Independant cabs are all over the place here and they all look pretty much the same. I hung near City Hall where I got off of the cab on the slim chance the driver would have discovered the wallet made a couple of U turns (near impossible in Busan) and dropped the wallet off to me. It was a slim chance but really the best course of action I had. I just notified the receptionist at my school of what happened and she said she'll see what she can do, but admitted that there was little chance of me getting it back. None of the cards in there would mean anything to a korean, except for maybe my Alien Registration Card, which may or may not have been in there. Good nes if it was cause they could call imiigration and track me down. Bad news if it was because then I'll have to get that darn thing replaced. I had a little piece of paper in there with three phone numbers in there and that's really my best bet. If someone finds it and calls one of them (the school, my recruiter or Patrick) I might get it back.
In the meantime I have definitely lost: my canadian bank card (tough to use here but access to emergency funds in a pinch) , my Korean Bank card (with a whopping $0 in the account, no big deal), my credit card (the biggest loss, it was the easiset source of emergency money and my real safety net that I could run back to canada whenever I wanted), an expired driver's licenese (glad I didn't get the folks to send me the new one), my gym card (hopefully I'll only have to pay a card replacement fee, although my month membership was up soon) and about $40 in cash.
I guess I should cancel my mastercard, but I know it will be a pain in the ass to get replaced. But then it will be a bigger pain if someone racks up a bunch of crap on it.
Anyway I have about a thousand in cash that I had luckily not gotten around to depositing in my account and payday is real soon so I will have no problems financially. I can probably get my Korean bank card replaced quickly, and the gym card. As for the bank card/ credit card I figure they will send me new ones but it will probably take a while. Hopefully my ARC wasn;t in there too.
Anyway its just a piss off more than anything else but it does mean that I don;t have the midnight run option anymore. up until this point I knew that if stuff went bad I could buy a plane ticket and leave. For now that is temporarily not the case. It'll all work out eventually but I'm really starting to wonder what kind of misadventures this week has left. Even I'm getting a slight kick out of all of this. I mean its kinda funny when you think about it.
Anyway I better go and cancel that bank card, hang out near where the cab dropped me off and then stew in my own juices for the next few days.

2 comments:

The Virgin Traveller said...

Oh Kevin, you and your comic misadventures! Whats next?! An ordinary trip to the pain-free "Dentist" (to get that last baby tooth pulled) turns tragic when the taxi ironically misunderstands you and drops you off at the pain-free "Mentist"- where you emerge a young available Korean woman?

All you need is a laugh track and one of those things that goes: Woh-Woh-Wohohohohhoh

Gary said...

Koreans are usually pretty good about returning stuff. Call all the cab companies if you can...it might work!