Saturday, November 25, 2006

Things are looking up


The last two days have been going okay. First off, stop me if you've heard this one before, but they have promised to find me a new apartment. I wrote the school a powerful letter that gave them the ulimatum of either finding me a new apartment or pimping mine out to the nines. I called their bluff that getting a me out of my current apartment was going to cost them $3000. I asked them to get me better furniture, hook up my internet and pay for it and while they were at it pay for my gym membership and a bunch of other stuff. Sure some of my requests were unrealistic but they were cheaper than any of thier alternatives. They came back saying they were going to find me a new apartment with another landlord (the one Nick has). We'll see how it all turns out, I'm not exactly holding my breath. I'm still ready to leave this job if I have to but it seems that they are getting pretty desperate to hold on to me.
I also got my wallet back today, it was turned in at a fire station across town. Which is nice. It would be nicer if I hadn't cancelled my credit card and bank card already. Or if there was any money still in the wallet. But there were a few cards in there that were good to get back.
I also went back to find that western market and after much trouble I finally did. I was looking in the complete wrong place last week, although in my defense the directions I got off the internet could have been clearer. But I found a block of town where you can get some of the comforts of home. I picked up 10 pounds of whey protein from two little old korean ladies that ran a bodybuilding supplement booth. I also picked up a bunch of oatmeal. Oatmeal is one of those foods that you take so for granted back home but for me it was awesome to find. I also picked up some hair clippers and finally was able to shave down the head again and start looking like a normal person again. I started shaving me head about three years ago when I was convinced I was quickly going bald. I haven't lost any more hair since then but I still like the look. Well enough about the minutae of my day.
Anyway with any luck things are going to settle down for me real soon here. I'm still plugging away at learning the language and although its going slow I am able to get by in more and more situations. No crazy adventures in the nightlife lately though, I'm trying to hold off of spedning too much money till I get my credit card replaced (only essential items like 10 lbs of whey) and honestly most nights the idea of going out drinking till three in the morning isn't that appealing. But this week I'm also planning on getting a cell phone so soon enough I can start calling up some of the people I've met round here and get dragged out whether I want to or not.

3 comments:

The Virgin Traveller said...

Your "new" place is totally gonna be my "single" bed where we're totally going to "eat" some "oatmeal".

Anonymous said...

I love it - oatmeal makes you happy... I can't look at the stuff right now because it was all that was edible at breakfast for a large part of my summer at camp, and all I had for breakfast for a good stretch while I've been up here! For me, it's grilled cheese with real cheddar. Mmm... cheese. Costs 10 bucks for a 300 gram (tiny) block of cheese here. Jerks.

no said...

I think oatmeal was causing a minor mineral deficiency for me. Whole grain foods have a high phytate content (phytic acid) which binds to minerals in the gut and prevents them from being absorbed - some as much as 90%. Its thought to be a leading cause of mineral deficiency related illness in countries where whole grain rice is a staple of the diet.

In any case, I've cut out the daily oatmeal breakfast. I suggest keeping your fruit/veggie intake spread away from the oatmeal by a few hours. Give the potassium a fighting chance...