Thursday, November 09, 2006

Just a quickie

I was sick yesterday and today and don't really have anything cool to report. I was jsut very happy I brought some sudafed and sucrets with me and was able to tough it out. I only get 3 sick days so I pushed through. It was also to see if I coul dget through the longest dya of my week (wednesday) when I felt like crap. And I could.
One benefit was that I wrote a letter to the director complaining about the smell in my bathroom that I thought was mold (probably in the cieling boards somewhere) and attributed my sickness to that. Which is probably pretty much what happened. Bathroom mold will rarely cause too much damage itself but can weaken your immune system. And it was getting pretty ridiculous that I was avoiding using my wn bathroom because of the smell (which was not a human excrement smell lik eyou would expect). So she agreed to find me a new place. Hopefully the new place is a big step up. Although I complained about the kitchen and the bathroom I did like being close to the gym and having Patrick next door. But I'm happy with my decision to move, its kind of a microsm of my reasons for moving to korea. I wasn't miserable in Toronto by any means but just though that by staying with what was safe and secure I was missing out on the possibility of something better. I'm not sure when the move will be, but I just hope that I'm gion gto be able to get all my pictures down without damging the walls too much. We'll find out if the hot glue gun was a good idea soon enough. I know the place they find will be near the school somewhat I just hope it has everything I need nearby.
I am feeling a lot better now and am gion to go buy some food and watch some dvds tonight, get some rest. Thee school is having a welcoming party for myself and Nick (the other new teacher) on Saturday and I want to make sure I'm feeling 100% for that. Nick was telling me about a little trouble he ran into yesterday when he went to a food vendor on the street and didn't have enough cash to pay the bill. he underestimated the price of two helpings of barbeque and some soju and only had $9 to pay a $20 bill. The lady was furious at him, some other partons calmed her down and she settled for all the cash he had and he had to walk home from downtown (he didn't evne have bus fare). Now in his defence eating out is really cheap here, food vendors on the street even more so. $6-10 is the average I've paid for some pretty huge meals, and soju is less than a buck a bottle in stores, maybe $1.50 at a restaurant. In any case I lent him $20 until he can find a global atm to get money out of his account back home. Its the exact type of situation I would be so afraid of running into myself, I'm glad I brought a fair amount of cash into Korea with me (that I am going through very slowly even with all the stuff I've bought for my apartment).

1 comment:

The Virgin Traveller said...

Wash your hands a lot. They say the new people get this really vicious cold/flu when they first arrive due to the climate change, anxiety, loss of tears.

Its good to hear they are moving you to a new apartment, you sound like you're settling down well.

Do you think you and I should open our own Hagwon when I arrive?