Wednesday, November 22, 2006

There was no Joy in Nevada today.

Literally. One of my students named 'Joy' was not in my class called Nevada today. For the first week I was convinced his name was actaully 'Joey' and he was saying it wrong, but nope thats the English name some teacher gave him.

Anyway I did not get my wallet back so I cancelled my credit and bank card. I should be able to get the credit card replaced by next week. The bank card I will have to go to a Bank of Montreal branch, however I'm not sure how many locations they have in Busan, South Korea. Probably a lot.

Patrick and Nick heard about my loss and bought me a new wallet which was really sweet. And this morning at work was prettty easy so that was a nice break. It looks like they are prepping the kindergarten kids for thier own speech contest so the class structure was all over the place. Basically the Korean teachers were taking classes into the auditorium to practice thier speeches and whichever students they weren't working with Nick and I had to take care of. So today Nick and i went from glorified babysitters to just plain babysitters. We just read stories to the kids all morning. I had classes of his students he had classes of mine, it was kind of fun. He even got my younguns (Edison) for a period. He said that they were basically climbing on the table or crawling under it and he had trouble keeping control. I was glad to hear I wasn't the only one.

So at lunch Michelle (the kind of manager for the school but not really cause she doesn't want the job) told me that since I didn't like the other apartment I was shown I was unfortunately stuck with my current one until the lease is up in March. Buton the bright side the landlord agreed to provide me with furniture and clean the place. That was really sweet. I of course informed her that I had already been promised new furniture and cleaning and since none of that had materialized I had already spent lots of time and money taking care of those things myself (I didn't think it prudent to mention that Matt had given me the furniture- just not the right time). I also mentioned that I was told in my negotiations for my contract that i would be given an acceptable apartment (and later that a new apartment would be found for me if I wasn't happy with the one offered) so I would have to talk to my recruiter and see if it wasn't in my best interests to go elsewhere where I would be provided with one. Michelle tried to explain how the school can't get out of the current lease. I politely explained that it frankly wasn't my concern, that I was th eone that had to live in the shitty aparment. i told her tha tid they expected me to act liek a professional they should treat me like one. Michelle said she would talk to the director.
Personally i am really at the point that I could see myself quitting and finding a new job. I have been in this country for exactly one month and things have not improved too much for me, if I had the balls to come across the world hopefully I've got a half shot of machismo left to find something better.

1 comment:

The Virgin Traveller said...

Listen Kevin...my school, though they have yet to meet me have deemed me so qualified that they insist I hire an assitant.

I would prefer someone with a little bit more experience, but since your negotiation skills seem to be improving, along with the several ways you have learned to say, "I am very disappointed and hurt by these conditions." in perfect Korean, we think you'd make a great addition to the GnB team.

But you can't live with me as you're bad luck and probably smell like mold.