Thursday, December 14, 2006

No news is good news

Well I heard a few grumblings that I did not update my blog recently, but that's probably indicative of how smoothly things have been going for me this last week. Now I haven't been getting up to anything particularly exciting, one of the things that surprises most people is that most of the time here its just a work, gym, eat, sleep routine like back home. And that there is not newsworthy.

But now that a little shit has hit the fan again I feel I have something to gripe about, which is really my best fuel for posting. While I was at work today apparently my landlord sent some people to redo the wallpaper in my apartment and clean the place. News to me, I only found out after the fact when I was on my way home from the elementary school and received a call from my school's secretary telling me that the landlord was mad at me for putting stuff up on my walls. Which I think is unfair because there were things up on the walls when I moved in. I was told not to glue or nail anything to the wall. Now I had hot glued some pictures to the walls, however it was thick, coated sturdy wallpaper and honestly I had caused no damage. I know because I had moved the pictures many times and there was absolutely no trace of them. I think its silly to put someone in a small apartment with white wallpaper and tell them that they are not allowed to put anything up. They put crazy people in white rooms. White rooms sedate ambition and higher brain functions by forcing you to face the futility of infinite absence of color and life. I think along with junk food and alcohol they help a lot with pacifying the working class. So I was a little miffed at being told off second hand, and finding out that someone had been in my apartment while I was out. The place didn't need new wallpaper and a cleaning (I had spent six hours on Sunday cleaning the place to the bone). Well 'luckily' for me it turns out that the secretary was only half right. They did not clean the place. And in truth they did a half assed job on the wallpaper so really its more like a quarter right. I now have two different kinds of wallpaper up in my apartment. One is a shiny offwhite the other is a shiny grey floral pattern. My guess is that the landlord hired the cheapest labor she could find and they just used the ends of two rolls of wallpaper they had lying around, and maybe about half the amount of wallpaper paste they should have. There are tons of places where the wallpaper is bubbling out, sometimes half an inch in places. Some of my outlets no longer have covers on them because with the way the wallpaper is put on they no longer fit. And the floor was filthy, it looks like they were standing on my computer table from the mess that was left there, there is dried wallpaper paste on all the formerly clean wooden surfaces in my house (thats where it all went), and bits of wallpaper all over my bed and room. I couldn't even put up my pictures again (which I fully planned to do) since the wallpaper was done so poorly.

I called the school and bitched them out. Firstly bout not telling me someone was coming into my apartment (they said they forgot) and secondly for letting a half assed job take place. They asked what they could do to help, which seems to be a common thing here. Everyone is very upfront about offering help, but as I 've discovered it is really ineffectual. I told them that I would have to stop talking to them about it because I was too angry and didn't want to say anything out of line and that they had unfortunately made it obvious that they are not capable of helping me.

I'm really starting to wonder if this whole damn thing was a mistake. I'm not thinking of bailing, but I'm really really just getting sick of being treated like rube.
Anyway after cleaning last weekend I did take some pics so here is what my apartment looked like when I was happy with it's appearance, now it looks like a very cheap motel room.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If it's not one, it's the other... Up here, it's all about finding the right

Anonymous said...

If it's not one, it's the other... Up here, it's all about finding the right

Anonymous said...

If it's not one, it's the other... Up here, it's all about finding the right person to ask - I'm guessing there, that would be the one person who doesn't ask what they can do to help. Good luck finding such a person!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Schwindt really likes to get his point across. He so Crazy!

Listen Kevin, I'll be there in a few days and we'll figure out South Korea the way A.C. Slater and Zak Morris discovered they had started puberty...together.